Author: Alain Danielou
Publisher: Indica Books
ISBN/UPC (if available): 8186569332
What is modal music? Why did the ancients consider music the key of sciences, related to metaphysics? Are there many musics, as there are many languages? Is there a relation between Indian music, jazz, cante jondo, Gregorian chant? How should we understand African music? What are the relations between music and religion? And between music and magic, or therapy?
This collection of texts, covering a wide range of subjects, concerns the amateur music lover as well as the professional musician. The renowned musicologist Alain Danielou here explains clearly and simply the profound concepts relating music to its essential roots.
Tradition is inevitably the basis on which innovations can develop. Charge, if it results in the loss of tradition, is more often than not a loss rather than a gain.
THE MLECCHA’S EXERCISE BOOKS BY JACQUES CLOAREC
ALAIN DANIELOU AND THE MUSICAL RENAISSANCE BY JEAN-LOUIS GABIN
I. The Origins of the Musical Languages
1. The Origins of Sacred Music
2. Symbolism in the Musical Theories of the Orient
3. The Magic of Sound
4. Magic and Pop Music
II. Tradition and Modernity
5. Tradition and Innovation
6. Model Music and Harmonic Music
7. Can Harmony Be Introduced in Indian Music?
8. Harmonic Agression
9. The Musical Cultures of the East in the Face of Western Hegemony
10. Musical Nationalism and Universal Music
11. The Musical Languages of Black Africa
12. The Impacat of Writing and Recording on Musical Creativity
13. Music in the Modern World
14. Music and Meditation
III. The Sources of Future
15. Music, an International Language?
16. Popular Religious Music in the Twentieth Century
17. The Training of Professional Musicians
19. Basic Elements in the Vocabulary of Sound
20. Comparative Musicology: Principles, Problems, Methods
21. Categories of Intervals or Sruti-Jatis
22. Elements of the Formation of Scales
23. Mantra, Principles of Language and Music According to the Hindu Mythology
24. Publication of Sanskrit Treatises
The Semantic by Christian Braut
Alain Danielou. A Brief Biography by Jacques Cloarec
Alain Danielou’s Musical and English Bibliography
ORIGIN OF THE TEXTS FORMING THIS BOOK