Author: Ashok Kapur
Y K Malik/
Editor: Ashok Kapur
Publisher: Sage Publications
ISBN/UPC (if available): 0761995927
The important and timely volume explores the many strands and nuances of the chequered ourse of Indo-US relations, and offers pragmatic policy recommendations. The original essays by reputed scholars and analysts cover a wide range of fundamental issues.
Relations between India and the US can best be described as ‘rocky’, almost from the time India gained independence in 1947. They have differed strongly on many fronts, including perceptions of their respective national interests, strategic worldviews, foreign policy goals and economic policies. However, subsequent to the radical changes in global political configurations in recent years, fresh opportunities have arisen for the world’s two largest democracies to forge a new and more enduring relationship.
The important and timely volume not only explores the many strands and nuances of the chequered course of Indo-US relations, but offers pragmatic policy recommendations. The original essays by reputed scholars and analysts cover a wide range of fundamental issues affecting bilateral relations. These include:
The differing perceptions and worldviews of the ruling elites in both countries.
The strains caused in bilateral relations by India’s quest for nuclear weapons the role of academic exchanges and cooperation in the military, scientific, technological and legislative spheres.
The fundamental flaws in America’s policies towards South Asia, especially with regard to the troubled relationship between India and Pakistan.
The Kashmir issue.
Overall, the contributors maintain that the rapidly growing rapprochement between India and the United States could have far-reaching implications for peace and progress throughout Asia. Topical and multi-disciplinary in its approach, this important volume will attract the attention of a wide range of readers. Besides students and scholars of international relations, political science and South Asian studies, it will be of interest to policy makers and analysts, diplomats, economic think tanks, and all those interested in Indo-US relations.
List of Abbreviations
1. Introduction: India and America ---Engaging Each Other in a Changing World
2. US-India Science and Technology Relations: A Socio-political Analysis
3. India and America---A Half Century of Academic and Scholarly Exchange,
4. Policy Retaliation and Inefficiency
5. The Reasons Why: The US Failure to Control the Nuclear Agenda in South
6. Indo-US Strategic Worldviews
7. Two Disengaged Cultures, Two Distant Democracies: Anthropological Notes
on Indian and American Political Ethos
8. Military Relations between the US and India: Assessment and Prospects
9. India-US Economic Relations: A Perspective
10. US Economic Sanctions against Nuclear India: Implications for Economic
Liberalism and Democratic Peace Theory
11. Coming of Age: Indian-Americans and the US Congress
12. Legislative Perceptions of Indo-American Relations
13. Ideals or Self-Interest? The Indian Nuclear Deterrent and American Foreign
14. Indo-US Relations and the Kashmir Issue
Postscript the Aftermath of 11 September: Changing Geo-political Equations and Indo-US Relations
Notes on Editors and Contributors