Author: P C Alexander
ISBN/UPC (if available): 8170392446
This work deals with a variety of important subjects, as important as the new millennium. These include democratic evolution, economic policies, ethics, role of the judiciary and that of the civil services in pre and post Independence India.
Dr. Alexander himself was a civil servant and has observed from close quarters the format, problems and challenges of these services and is in a very authoritative position to speak of the future direction they should take.
The author has drawn attention to ethics and values in Indian society, which are the most important subjects that should engage policy and opinion-makers in order to lend a touch of quality to the life of India as a nation.
India entered the twenty-first century with a food surplus, self-sufficiency in production of consumer goods and near self-sufficiency in a wide range of production materials, securing a place for India among the most industrialized countries of the world. But in terms of human development, health, education and per capita income, both individual and collective, the picture of India is very dismal. Value-based education for the masses, says the author, is the only light at the end of the tunnel.
The author also has very interesting thoughts on the evolution of political leadership in India. In short, the book is thought-provoking and addresses the concerns and challenges facing India in the new millennium.
* The World in the Twenty-First Century
* Straddling Two Centuries
* Some Reflection on the Indian Polity
* Citizens Rights and Indian Democracy
* Civil Service Before and After Independence: Challenges and Problems
* Ethics and Values in Today's society
* Educational Reforms: Problems and Prospects
* Evolution of Economic Policies in India
* The Reform Process and the Role of Overseas Indians
* Agricultural Strategy: Some Thrust Areas
* The Governor's Role in a Hung Assembly
* The Press in India
* Evolution of Political Leadership
* Accountability of the Judiciary in Indian Democracy
* Dr. Ambedkar and Social Democracy in India
* Gandhi's Most Precious Legacy for Twenty-first Century India