Author: Prithipal Singh Kapur
Mohinder Singh/Several Contributors
Translator(s)/ Editors(s): Prithipal Singh Kapur/Mohinder Singh
Publisher: Singh Brothers
ISBN/UPC (if available): 8172054270
Sikhism made multi-dimensional progress during the period of Guru Arjan Dev (1563-1606), the fifth Master. The doctrine got preserved in the scripture which was subsequently designated as the Guru Eternal by the tenth Guru. The number of Sikhs increased and hordes of people were attracted towards Sikhism. This fact attracted the attention of the state and the Hindu and Muslim orthodoxy.
Guru Arjan gave the Sikhs the central shrine as well as an organization to manage the affairs of the community, and above, all his martyrdom carved out a place for the Sikhs in the mainstream of history. All this enabled the Sikhs to withstand the challenge of a firmly rooted imperial power.
The quad-centenary of the martyrdom of Guru Arjan provided an occasion to the Sikh community to renew their gratitude and dedication to this great Guru. Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee organized on the occasion. This volume is an attempt to present in that seminar by a galaxy of scholars.
1. Guru Arjan Dev’s Life, Martyrdom and Legacy – J. S. GREWAL
2. Guru Arjan Dev – An Overview – J. S. NEKI
3. Times of Guru Arjan – KRIPAL SINGH
4. The Concept of the Other – MUBARAK ALI
5. Relations Between the Muslims and the Sikhs during the Medieval Period – A. W. AZHAR DEHLVI
6. Guru Arjan’s Aesthetic Legacy – NIKKY – GUNINDER KAUR SINGH
7. Sukhmani in the Indian Spiritual Tradition – SHASHI BALA
8. Guru Arjan and Interfaith – JOY BARROW
9. Guru Granth Sahib : A Model for Inter-Faith Understanding in Today’s World – QAZI NUR –UL-ISLAM
10. Conserving Guru Granth Sahib Manuscripts – MOHINDER SINGH
11. Harimandar – The Epicentre of the Sikh Faith – KHARAK SINGH
12. Concept and Tradition of Martyrdom in Sikhism – DHARAM SINGH
13. Guru Arjan’s Martyrdom: Contemporary Perceptions – PRITHIPAL SINGH KAPUR
14. Recent Studies on the Martyrdom of Guru Arjan : A Critique – INDU BANGA
15. Some Aspects of Guru Arjan’s Martyrdom and Legancy – NAZER SINGH
16. The Sikh Tradition of Martyrdom: A Continuum of Four Centuries – CHHANDA CHATTERJEE