Author: Usha Bhatia
Amar Nath Khanna/Vijay Sharma
Translator(s)/ Editors(s): Usha Bhatia/Amar Nath Khanna/Vijay Sharma
ISBN/UPC (if available): 9788173053603
The Diverse World of Indian Painting is a stimulative and perceptive survey of different aspects of Indian painting. Authorities of Indian painting in India and aborad have contributed essays to this volume in honour of Dr. V.C. Ohri, the first curator of Bhuri Singh Museum, Chamba who was also the founding curator of the Himachal State Museum, Shimla.
The publication covers a range of subjects and their various aspects relating to the tradition of Indian painting both chronologically and school-wise. Mughal, Rajasthani, Pahari, Deccani, Malwa - the famed school of Central India and Buddhist manuscript painting have been included.
There are also essays on murals of Mattancherry Palace, Chamba rumal embroidery, the craft of wood carving & preservation. These articles which reflect the diverse world of Indian painting are a befitting tribute to Dr. Ohri whose contribution to the cause of documenting and preserving Indian painting is second to none.
Perceptive, insightful and selective, the book is an indispensable reference tool. The unusual variety of the subject and notable richness of illustrations combine to make this a work of endless fascination. The strikingly illustrated book is a significant contribution to the field of Indian painting and is valuable for students and scholars alike.
1. The "Vredenburg Manuscript" and its Book Covers/Claudine Bautze-Picron
2. Minting of Coins in Paintings/Rita Devi Sharma
3. Books and Pictures from the Zenana Mahal : The Collection of Manuscripts of Hamida Banu Begam/Asok Kumar Das
4. Hierarchy and Models - Some Notes on Shaikhs in Mughal Painting/Ludwig Habighorst
5. A Seventeenth Century Deccani "Talking Tree" and Other Composite Images in the "Parallel Universes" of a Collector and Visvamitra/Kenneth X. Robbins
6. Portraits from Jaipur Collection/Chandramani Singh
7. Mercury Springs in Indian Miniatures/Ludwig Habighorst and Vijay Sharma
8. North-West Indian Art and Literature During Later Medieval Period : A Socio-Cultural Background/Maithili Prasad Bhardwaj
9. Some Malwa Paintings : A Study/B.L. Nagarch
10. A Study of Rare Series of Maratha Rasamanjari or Glimpses of Maratha Miniatures of Rasamanjari/Satya Vrata Tripathy
11. The Wall Paintings of Kerala : Mattancherry, Padmanabhapuram and Krishnapuram Palaces/Usha Bhatia
12. Some Mewar Paintings of Rasikapriya/Amar Nath Khanna
13. Drops of Honey : A Story from the Mahabharata/O.P. Sharma
14. Early Portrait Drawings from Chamba (c. 1630-1760)/Jagdish Mittal
15. Variations on a Theme : Siva Performs the Samdhya Rite in a Pahari Painting/Pratapaditya Pal
16. A Controversial Set of Pahari School Paintings Based on Ramacharitamanas from Baroda Museum/Ratan Parimoo
17. The Journey from Kavya to Kalam in Kangra Painting/Harsha V. Dehejia
18. Visions of Sringara : The Love-poetry in Pahari Painting/Vijay Sharma
19. Pahari Rumal : The Picturesque Narratives/Anamika Pathak
20. Wedding Scenes in Chamba Rumal and the Unusual Subject of Til-Chauli/Kamal Prashad Sharma
21. Wooden Panels of the Radha-Krishna Temple, Chamba/S.M. Sethi
22. Restoration of Havelis in Rajasthan Taking Experience from Chamba and Kulu Projects/A.S. Bisht
23. From Within and Without-Udaipur Painting Revisited/Gauri Parimoo Krishnan and Carol Cains
24. The Painter Siba of Nurpur at Raja Sansar Chand's Atelier/Rajesh Sehgal