Author: N Ram
ISBN/UPC (if available): 8187496029
Inaugural volume of the Signpost series examines the motivation and implications of exploding five nuclear devices on May 11 and 143, 1998 at Pokhran.
Drawing on scientific inputs and assessments from physicist T Jayaraman, well known journalist N Ram deals with questions such as:
* What was the BJP-led government's motivation in doing so?
* What was India's nuclear policy for the first 50 years after Independence?
* What is nuclear deterrence and has it worked historically?
* Was Pokhran-II a great scientific achievement?
* Do nuclear weapons enhance security?
* How much will nuclear weaponization cost?
* What is CTBT and should India sign it?
* Can nuclear weaponization in South Asia be reversed?