Author: Syamala Kallury
Translator(s)/ Edito: Syamala Kallury
Publisher: Shipra Publications
ISBN/UPC (if available): 8175413026
The book aims at fulfilling the long felt need of translating Telugu poetry into English, covering all the important trends that Telugu poetry witnessed during the last century. Poets in Andhra region have always marched along with the times and have written on issues relating to human behaviour and survival. This collection makes a modest effort to bring the talent of the poets of this region to the national mainstream.
The human concerns and questions that challenge our troubled world in this era of globalization have very much been the concern of the poets writing today. Aimed at providing a useful reference tool for researchers, it is also hoped that this will provide the necessary basis for the comparative study of literatures produced in India.
Poetry in India has a loyal readership though not a wide one. This book, the originals published in Telugu under the title Chaitanya Dehali by NBT (2002), is a tribute to the lovers of poetry who kept up their interest, thereby keeping this genre alive for posterity, against all odds.
1. Solitary worship/Venkata Parvatisa Kavulu.
2. Purnamma, a golden doll/Gurazada Appa Rao.
3. Arise/Rayaprolu Subba Rao.
4. Motherland/Rayaprolu Subba Rao.
5. The blind beggar/Viswanatha Satyanarayana.
6. Chariot wheels/Viswanatha Satyanarayana. 7. Kokila/Basavaraju Appa Rao.
8. Yenki/Nanduri Subba Rao.
9. Do not wake me up/Nanduri Subba Rao.
10. Godavari in floods/Adivi Bapiraju.
11. The infant/Gurram Jashua.
12. Nataraja/Devulapalli Venkata Krishna Sastry.
13. Crazy traveller/Devulapalli Venkata Krishna Sastry.
14. A song for my mother/Nayani Subba Rao.
15. Lament for a father/Karunasri (Jandhyala Papaya Sastry).
16. My style/Chalam.
17. Your looks/Chalam.
19. Song of hope/Vedula Satyanarayana.
20. The fellow who would never change/Boyi Bhimanna.
21. Whose children are you?/Anisetty Subba Rao.
22. Auan!/Srirangam Srinivasa Rao.
23. Non duality/Srirangam Srinivasa Rao.
24. The contrasts/Srirangam Srinivasa Rao.
25. Man of the soil/Nayani Krishna Kumari.
26. The ways of time/Kundurti Anjaneyulu.
27. The picture of a rain in a city/Kundurti Anjeneyulu.
28. The language of the eyes/Gunturu Sheshendra Sarma.
29. Glanirbhavati Bharatah/Mahaswapna.
30. Let's lay the funeral pyre!/Cherabanda Raju.
31. The raga of destruction/Nikhileswar.
33. Water clock/Arudra.
34. On the night it rained nectar/Devarakonda Balagangadhara Tilak.
35. The song of the universal/Devarakonda Balagangadhara Tilak.
36. My poetry/Devarakonda Balagangadhara Tilak.
37. Journey upward/C. Narayana Reddy.
38. An immortal's aim/C. Narayana Reddy.
39. Repetition/Kaloji Narayana Rao.
40. A battle with darkness/Dasarathi.
41. The lines drawn by time/Aripirala Vishwam.
42. Banyan tree in a pot/Vinnakota Ravisankar.
43. The experience of sleep/Vinnakota Ravisankar.
44. Unfinished painting/Vinnakota Ravisankar.
45. The sixth finger/K Godavari Sarma.
46. From our generation to yours--one challenge/Godavari Sarma.
47. Godavari is my mirror image/Addepalli Rammohan Rao.
48. The severed head sings/Addepalli Rammohan Rao.
49. Distorted line/Ajantha.
52. For that one word!/Katti Padmarao.
53. You must adjust/Mandarapu Hymavati.
54. You must do it/Sudha.
55. Half the world/S. Jaya.
56. The black Slogan/Afsar.
58. The rain horse/Ismail.
59. The search/Ismail.
60. The marbles/Ismail.
61. The Godavari/Endluri Sudhakar.
62. I am the foreword for tomorrow's history/Endluri Sudhakar.
63. For a fistful of self respect/Kalekuri Prasad.
65. Legs steeped in Mud!/Ketavarapu Venkata Ramana Murty.
66. Mother tongue/N. Gopi.
67. Freedom fighter/N. Gopi.
68. Speak/K. Siva Reddy.
69. Those who have left.../K. Siva Reddy.
70. The bond that cannot bind/Gautam.
71. Man's death/Varavara Rao.
72. Haunting memory/Tripuraneni Srinivas.
73. Jasmine creeper under a Banyan tree/Adigopula Venkataratnam.
74. It that young Parrot did not perch there.../Jayaprabha.
75. Beyond the sorrow of the world of sound!/Jayaprabha.
77. We do not want this tradition/Kondepudi Nirmala.
78. Ganges, the river of Karna's Sorrow/Kondepudi Nirmala.
79. Another song for the city of love/C.V. Subbarao.
80. Chavula Madhum (a graveyard in Visakhapatnam)/C.V. Subbarao.
81. Lighthouse/Devaraju Maharaju.
82. When their ploughs break/Papineni Sivasnakar.
83. In the green world/Papineni Sivasankar.
84. Accident/R. Anantha Padmanabha Rao.
85. The rain in Waltair/Manepalli.
86. The tree of sorrow/Sikhamani.
87. Your beauty/Sumanasri.
88. In the Mulaquat room/Asharaju.
90. Abortion statement/Patibandla Rajani.
91. Letter does not die/Tallapalli Muralidhara Gowd.
92. The new consciousness/Mehajabin.
93. Mother's eyes/Mehejabin.
96. A weeping flower/Sitaram.
97. The curse/Nandini Siddareddy.
98. The rain has now stopped/Aluri Bairagi.
99. To a brother, now dead!/Syamala Kallury.
100. Have you seen God?/Syamala Kallury.
ABOUT THE POETS