Author: V K Gupta
Publisher: Bharatiya Kala Prakashan
ISBN/UPC (if available): 8180900541
This work is an original research work in the field of Historical Indian Jurisprudence. Kautilya’s Arthasastra was written between 321 and 300 B.C. Kautilya has also been recognized as Chanakya or Visnugupta.
The aim of the author in writing this book is to establish Kautilya as a great Indian Jurist who has so far been ignored by legal luminaries. The author has given legal orientation to Arthasastra and a Code of Law is compiled by excluding extra-legal matters. Out of 5391 sections (sutras), 2411 sections have been reproduced and regrouped as the law is scattered throughout Arthasastra.
Existing translations by various authors have been rationalized and improved upon by suing legal terminology. Special care has been taken to keep the text lucid, simple and original. Contents of the book have been arranged thematically into various branches of law. A commentary has been provided at the end of each of the 45 chapters into which this work has been divided. Apart from bibliography and index, the author has included Sanskrit text of relevant portions of the original work.
The work is useful to jurists, philosophers, advocates of higher courts, diplomats, students of legal research and comparative law, historians, Sanskrit scholars, indologists, writers and the general public. The book will bring an awareness, recognition and rediffusion of the Indian learning at home, and in other parts of the world.
I. LEGAL THEORIES:
1. Legal concepts.
2. Concept of punishments.
II. CRIMINAL LAW:
3. Offences against body.
4. Offences against property.
5. Offences against morality/society.
6. Defamation, contempt, intimidation.
7. Offences against state.
8. Offences by public servants.
9. Prison laws.
11. Weights and measures.
12. Economic offences and consumer protection.
13. Miscellaneous offences.
14. Prevention and investigation of crimes.
15. Trial and determination of suits.
16. Law of evidence.
III. CIVIL LAW:
17. Law of contract.
18. Family law.
19. Family law (contd.).
20. Family law (contd.).
21. Law concerning immovable property.
22. Law concerning immovable property (contd.).
23. Law relating to villages and agriculture.
24. Law of commercial transactions.
25. Law of commercial transactions (contd.).
26. Law concerning industry and trade.
27. Labour law.
28. Labour law (contd.).
29. Labour law (Contd.).
30. Law concerning welfare activities.
31. Regulations concerning town planning.
32. Taxation law.
IV. CONSTITUTIONAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE LAW:
34. Institution of ministers.
35. Finance and budget.
36. Constitution of administrative departments.
37. Salaries of state officials.
38. Law of writs.
39. Miscellaneous provisions.
V. INTERNATIONAL LAW:
40. Law of peace.
41. Law of peace (contd.).
42. Law of treaties.
43. Ambassadors and envoys.
44. Law of war.
45. Law of war (contd.).