Author: R R Sharma
Editor(s): R R Sharma
Publisher: Sage Publications
ISBN/UPC (if available): 81-7829-567-9
In recent years, Asia`s economic and strategic environment has been transformed in a fundamental sense. The emerging `Asian Economic Community`—encompassing ASEAN, China, Japan, India and South Korea—is being widely viewed as the centre of gravity of the global economy. Because of its strategic position, India is destined to play a significant role in shaping the emerging profile of Asia.
Against this background, this volume explores Asia`s dramatic re-emergence on the global scene as well as India`s role in ensuring peace, security, stability and development in the continent. In recent years, India has redefined its position within Asia and has emerged as a significant player. The contributors offer new perspectives on Asia concerning the nature of its politics and governance, the reasons for its insecurity, the need for greater regional cooperation, and its intrinsic strengths and weaknesses. They implicitly or explicitly share the view that the `twenty-first century belongs to Asia` and discuss a host of issues including:
- New foreign policy options available to India in a rapidly changing Asia
- The various security configurations that could emerge in the Asia-Pacific region and their implications for India
- Pakistan's skewed strategic policies formulated to destabilize India, but which have created serious problems for it.
- The USA's strategy of cultivating relations with three major Asian powers Japan, China, India - to prevent the rise of an anti-American power.
- The positive role of China, India and Iran in ensuring security and stability in Central Asia
The need for Asian states to understand and accept the concept of a gendered human security where women would be guaranteed equity and justice.
- The need for India to forge economic ties with Afghanistan and the Central Asian Region.
With its focus on Asia's geopolitical and geo-strategical flux and the emerging challenges and opportunities for this region, this book will of interet to students and scholars of international relations, security studies and political science.
Foreword by I K GUJRAL
Introduction R R SHARMA
Asia`s Quest for Identity and Security R R SHARMA
India`s Options in a Changing Asia S D MUNI and C RAJA MOHAN
A Continent Becomes a Region: Future Asian Security Architectures VARUN SAHNI
India and the Future of Asia: Arranging a Soft-Landing for Pakistan MANOJ JOSHI
Economic Reforms and Integration in South Asia: Role of India in SAARC MAHENDRA P LAMA
The United States and the Asian Powers CHINTAMANI MAHAPATRA
Reform and Resurgence: The Trajectory of Change in West Asia GIRIJESH PANT
Central Asia`s Security: The Asian Dimension AJAY PATNAIK
Japan`s Expanding Security Perspectives in the Asia-Pacific K V KESAVAN
Is Human and Gender Security Relevant for Asia? ANURADHA M CHENOY
Economic Developments and Regional Economic Trends in Central Asia: Emerging Asian Linkages GULSHAN SACHDEVA
Structural Imperatives and Asian Security RAJESH RAJAGOPALAN