Author: Karma Lekshe Tsomo
Editor(s): Karma Lekshe Tsomo
Publisher: Sri Satguru Publications
ISBN/UPC (if available): 8170306604
This book dwells on Mahaprajapattis legacy dealing with the Buddhist women's movement.
MAHAPRAJAPATI'S LEGACY: THE BUDDHIST WOMEN'S MOVEMENT:
AN INTRODUCTION/KARMA LEKSHE TSOMO.
PART I: BUDDHIST WOMEN IN ASIAN TRADITIONS: SOUTH ASIAN TRADITIONS:
1. The female in Buddhism/Elizabeth J. Harris.
2. Buddhist women in India and precolonial Sri Lanka/Lorna Dewaraja.
3. Restoring the order of nuns to the Theravadin tradition/Senarat Wijayasundara.
East Asian traditions
4. The red cord untied: Buddhist nuns in eighteenth-century China/Beata Grant.
5. Japanese Buddhist nuns: innovators for the sake of tradition/Paula K.R. Arai.
6. Can women achieve enlightenment? A critique of sexual transformation for enlightenment/Hae-ju Sunim (Ho-Ryeon Jeon).
The Tibetan tradition:
7. Tibetan Buddhist women practitioners, past and present: a garland to delight those wishing inspiration/Janice D. Willis.
8. Pregnancy and childbirth in Tibetan culture/Sarah Pinto.
9. Change in consciousness: women's religious identity in Himalayan Buddhist cultures/Karma Lekshe Tsomo.
Part II: Contemporary Buddhist women : Forging identity:
10. Conception and the entry of consciousness: when does a life begin?/Cait Collins.
11. East, west, women, and self/Anne C. Klein.
12. Appropriate treasure? Reflections on women, Buddhism, and cross-cultural exchange/Sara Shneiderman.
Shaping new traditions: unity and diversity:
13. Comparing Buddhist and Christian women's experiences/Karma Lekshe Tsomo.
14. Aung San Suu Kyi: a woman of conscience in Burma/Theja Gunawardhana.
15. A model for laywomen in Buddhism: the western Buddhist order/Dharmacharini Sanghadevi.
16. Feminism, lay Buddhism, and the future of Buddhism/Rita M. Gross. Epilogue/Karma Lekshe Tsomo.
LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS