Author: D C Ahir
Publisher: Sri Satguru Publications
ISBN/UPC (if available): 8170306922
Born in India in the sixth century B C, Buddhism began spreading in the neighbouring countries in the third century B C as a result of the efforts of Asoka, the first Emperor of India, and soon it became a major faith in practically the whole of South-East Asia. In this book is presented for the first time a comprehensive survey of the Buddhist influence on Asian culture and civilization.
The presentation has been divided into four sections. These are : I. Buddhist philosophy and religion. II. Buddhist influence on the cultural and spiritual development of selected countries, namely, India, Sri Lanka, Burma (Myanmar), Thailand, Laos, China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Tibet and Mongolia. III. Contribution of Buddhism to education, the arts and architecture of South-East Asia, and IV. Relevance and status of Buddhism in the contemporary world. All this information makes this volume a unique reference book.
I. BUDDHIST PHILOSOPHY AND RELIGION:
1. The Buddhist view of life/K.D.P. Wickremasinghe.
2. Buddha’s view of self/Vishwanath Pandey.
3. Consciousness in Buddhism/E. Nandissara.
4. How Dhamma differs from religion/B.R. Ambedkar.
5. Buddhism and human values/D.C. Ahir.
6. Buddhist view on race relations/U. Thittila Sayadaw.
II. BUDDHIST INFLUENCE ON THE CULTURAL AND SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT OF SELECTED COUNTRIES:
7. Buddhism and Indian culture/D.C. Ahir.
8. The influence of Buddhism in South-East Asia/Bhadant Anand Kausalyayan.
9. The influences of Buddhism on Sri Lanka’s culture/Walpola Sri Rahula.
10. Influence of Pali and Theravada Buddhism on the life and culture of Burmese (Myanmar) people/Dilip Kumar Banerjee.
11. Buddhism’s contribution to Thai culture/Upendra Thakur.
12. Laos-in praise of the Buddha/A Lao Buddhist.
13. The influence of Buddhist culture on Chinese culture/Chu Fei.
14. Buddhism in Korea/D.C. Ahir.
15. Theravada Buddhism and non-Vinaya Buddhism of Japan/Riri Nakayama.
16. Zen Buddhism/A.K. Bandhopadhyay.
17. Buddhism in Vietnam/A Vietnamese Buddhist.
18. Buddhism in Tibet/D.C. Ahir.
19. Influence of Buddhism on Mongolian culture/Lama Chimpa.
III. CONTRIBUTION OF BUDDHISM TO EDUCATION, ARTS AND ARCHITECTURE:
20. The contribution of Buddhism to education/Ananda W.P. Guruge.
21. Buddhist contributions to Asian cultural arts/Richard G. Gard.
22. The message of Buddhist art/Heinz Mode.
23. Buddhist contribution to art and architecture/L.M. Joshi.
IV. BUDDHISM IN THE CONTEMPORARY WORLD:
24. Buddhism’s contribution to human culture and civilization/R.L. Soni.
25. Buddhism-the religion of the age of science/U. Chan Htoon.
26. Buddhism is the religion of the oneness/Shoyu Iwaya.
27. Buddhism today : a retrospective appraisal/Kameshwar Nath Mishra.
28. India and the Buddhist world/D.C. Ahir.