Author: Malati Mahajan
Publisher: Sundeep Prakashan
ISBN/UPC (if available): 8185067236
In the present work, the data obtained from place names has been corroborated and supplemented with that of internal evidence from epigraphs, literature and sculptures, wherever possible. Place names from inscriptions ranging in date from the second century BC-1300 AD found in Maharashtra have been classified here on the basis of prefixes and suffixes into groups like settlements, administration and polity and economic, social and religious conditions.
Administrative divisions known to have been prevalent under different dynasties have been shown in nine maps arranged dynasty-wise. Besides, there are diagrams showing settlement patterns too.
LIST OF DIAGRAMS AND MAPS
1. MAHARASHTRA : Geological Background
2. SETTLEMENTS : Settlements, Topographical Features, Settlement Patterns, Some Interesting Place names
3. ADMINISTRATION AND POLITY : Administrative Divisions under various Rules, Polity
4. ECONOMIC CONDITIONS : Agriculture, Flora, Fauna, Trade, Industries, Tax and Sources of Revenue
5. SOCIAL CONDITIONS : Social Structure, Material Life, Educational Progress
6. RELIGION : Religious Buildings, Mythological Persons and Sages, Deities, Tirthas