Author: Surinder Singh Johar
Publisher: Sundeep Prakashan
ISBN/UPC (if available): 817574040X
Guru Ram Das, the fourth Guru of the Sikhs, founded Amritsar, literally meaning the tank of nectar. Completion of the holy tank at Amritsar and the construction of the Hari Mandir in the midst of the tank were achieved by Guru Arjan, the fifth Guru. The founding of the city of Amritsar has played an important role in the spiritual life of Sikhs. With the passage of time, Amritsar became a centre of pilgrimage, which attracted the Sikhs in large numbers from far and near.
The book gives a vivid and detailed account of the events leading to the founding of this great city, how it suffered at the hands of the invaders, and how the Sikhs made sacrifices to keep it intact and maintain its sanctity.
1. The Founder-Guru Ram Das
2. During Guru Arjan's Pontificate
3. Amritsar and Guru Hargobind
4. Amritsar and Guru Tegh Bahadur
5. From Banda Bahadur to the Advent of Maharaha Ranjit Singh
6. Maharaja Ranjit Singh and Amritsar
7. The British Period
8. Golden Temple Keys Affair
10. Jallianwala Bagh